Saturday, July 31, 2010

We have been moved up!

Today, we were moved out of the PICU and up to the patient rooms on the 6th floor! This is the final resting spot before going home! Gabe is no longer on any lines. The pic line was removed this morning. He still has the IV port in his scalp, in case they need it. They checked the vein and it is still good, although possibly not for long. Of course, he still has his saturation and blood pressure monitor as well as his leads measuring his heart rate but none of those are invasive.

We did get some bad news today. We had thought that since he had eaten well yesterday, that he would have no problem gaining weight. Weight is a big issue with heart babies. It is important that they consume so many calories daily. Well, Gabe decided that he would not eat well today. He would latch onto the bottle for a few swallows but then make faces and quit eating. Because of this they put in a feeding tube tonight. Hopefully, temporarily. To me, it looks as if his throat is sore from the ventilator and it hurts to swallow. We hope that this will change before going home. They taught me how to insert the tube through his nose, but it still makes me very nervous. I really am hoping that this will not be something I need to worry about once we go home. Regardless of this, he now has a full belly and is sleeping peacefully in his crib right beside me. He is such a sweet little angel.

4 comments:

  1. We are so glad to hear how well he is doing! He is definitely a fighter and we cant wait to meet him!

    Ashley and Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God!!! I am sooooo happy for lil' man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cutie!! Sandra, you are such a strong woman & mommy. Gabe is blessed in so many ways!!
    GOD'S GOT THIS.
    Love-Stacy Wimsatt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to hear that you have moved up. I am thinking you guys and sending my best wishes. love ya- shawn

    ReplyDelete