Saturday, July 17, 2010

OK- I'm horrible!!
I know that I have not written as promised. Let me begin by apologizing. It's been a very busy last couple of months. I love summer, its my favorite time of year, but it sure does keep you on the go!

Let me update you on what has been going on. As I mentioned in my last entry, I have been going to the Dr for bio-physical profiles and non-stress testing twice a week. (Sometimes three times a week- with my maternal fetal apts from Vanderbilt thrown into the mix). Besides a hiccup a couple of weeks ago, Gabe has passed these tests with flying colors!! He is showing no signs of fetal distress or heart failure. There is no fluid build up and he is practicing his breathing. And boy is he growing!! They approximate his weight to currently be around 7 lbs and 12 oz. Of course, this could be off by a pound since it is an approximation based on how he is measuring in his bio-physical profiles (an ultrasound, where they measure everything and look closely over his organs and movement.) His Doctors are happy with his size. They say that it is common for heart babies to not be very big. (These kids must not have daddies with "Moose" for a nickname!) So the fact that he is gaining well is fantastic! This will be a huge benefit going into his first surgery! Let's just pray that he continues to gain this well outside of the womb! The hiccup I mentioned earlier was a little arrhythmia. They noticed an extra little beat in his heart rhythm. That was an eventful day! At first the Dr's seemed a little worried. But upon further inspection, my Ob and Gabe's Cardiologist, where not overly-concerned. Dr. Brown, my OB, thinks that this comes with being monitored too closely. He has seen other situations in completely healthy babies where there was an irregular beat this late in pregnancy. It usually corrects itself. The cardiologist, thought that it may also be due to some preterm contractions that I had been having. Anyway, they told me to stay off the caffeine (which I have) and the following week the arrhythmia was gone. Guess they were right!

In June my girlfriends threw us a baby shower. (I should also mention that one of my gf's is my sister-in -law, who is amazing!) It was so much fun! It was wonderful! We ate good food, the kids swam, and had excellent company. It was a fun evening at the Big Kahuna. Thank you all so, so much! Everyone has been so supportive. Jeff and I realize how lucky we really are!! You guys are a huge part in how we have managed to get through the past months so smoothly.

Which now leads me to where we are now. Today I am 38 weeks. At my apt yesterday, everything went well, during the non-stress test but they did notice that i was having contractions about 8 minutes apart. I felt them, but they aren't crazy-crazy painful, so I thought they were simply braxton-hicks. I am dilated at 2 and possibly almost-30 % effaced. Basically, from what he could tell, he was concerned that I would go into labor this weekend. The concern is because he is not on call so he would not be delivering Gabe if this were to happen. He told me to rest and not do anything physical. He said swimming would be wonderful, because it would relieve the pressure on my cervix. So, I guess, we'll spend the weekend at the Big K! I did meet the Ob on call. She seems very nice, but obviously, I would prefer that Dr. Brown be around for the delivery. Therefore, I will do exactly as he said! If I make it past this week, my induction date will be the 27th. So basically, everything is set! We are just waiting....excited to meet our son, yet terrified of what he has to go through upon his arrival. It's a good thing we have God in our corner!

Whenever Gabe does decide to make his arrival, please know that we will keep this blog updated and keep everyone informed on what is going on. This labor and delivery will be very different from Jessie's. Although, everyone means well, we ask that you all stay home and keep us in your prayers. It will most likely be very emotional for Jeff and I and it would be easier to keep visitors at a very minimum. Gabe will not be accessible to anyone in the NICU other than us, and our focus will be to be with him. I am planning on spending minimal time in my own room! We will post pictures for everyone to see and when he is home and released to go out in public you guys will all get to meet him!

Again, thank you for your prayers, love and support. Please continue to pray for a miracle!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment