Sunday, April 25, 2010

Amniocenteses

On March 12, 2010 we went to see Dr. Fortunato at Maternal Fetal Group for an amniocenteses. As mentioned in my earlier post, we were hesitant to do this. I have been on the fence, wondering would it matter? I love my son so much already and the possibility of risking his life with a test is terrifying. After speaking to my OB, Dr. Kyzer (who is wonderful, I might mention), she explained that some chromosomal abnormalities were fatal. And if Gabe tested positive for any of these, we may want to prepare ourselves. After deliberating for a long time, it was decided to go ahead and follow through with the procedure.

The procedure was a cakewalk. The worst part about it was the anticipation and fear. Dr. Fortunato was kind enough not let me see the needle prior to penetration. They used an ultrasound to make sure where the best possible point of entry was without coming close to the baby. It was so odd to sit and watch this needle on the ultrasound screen. They told me to lay perfectly still as they did the procedure. At one point, it looked as if Gabe was touching the needle. I began to panic but stayed perfectly still. Through closed lips I mumbled "he's touching it!!! He's touching it!! Stop!" The Dr. just smiled and assured me that although it looked like Gabe was right next to the needle, he was quite a ways behind it and was not touching it. Within two minutes it was over. Now for the wait! They told us that we would receive the results for the 3 most common abnormalities (Down Syndrome, Trisomy 13 and Trisomy 18- the latter 2 are fatal) by the following Monday and the rest within another week. Thank you for your continued prayers. The Lord will see us through regardless of path we must take. Of this we are sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment